Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!
This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, INDIGENOUS SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...
OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!
*Drop-in Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom (Room 3, 707 Dundas St. W.) during the school year...APPLY NOW!!!
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Even though we are closed till Sept. 4 enjoying sun & surf, we thought we would report on some of our ripples throughout the summer....
1. OSF boards from ongoing sk8stainability curriculum 3-year collab with Bamboo SK8 find a permanent home at their home base in Oceanside, CA. Thanks to Mark Olson for the support and we look forward to continuing this project with you this upcoming school year!
2. "Got the boards they are awesome love um so much getting lots of comments on them, tell the guys thank you and top drawer job" Pat Brickner, The Grind Board Shop, California, grindonlinestore.com
3. Remember our trip to NYC in June? Well the boards we left there with Sophia Lerdahl, Program Manager for STOKED, were used to start an OSF collaboration with NYC youth that will continue into the Fall. We are stoked to work with STOKED!!!
4. After a final summer school credit achieved, another OSF High School Graduate! Congrats man!
5. Wondering why we need more innovative schools and reengagement programs like Oasis Skateboard Factory? TDSB Director Chris Spence was featured in Toronto Life magazine talking about the new specialized elementary schools that launch this Fall:
"It's about providing more choice. The biggest issue kids face today isn't underachievement; it's disengagement....Research shows that environments that cater to sudents' passions can enhance their academic skills...these specialized schools help ensure that all students feel a sense of connectedness"