Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Thursday, May 2, 2013

Playing in the sand...


I love to skate.  I've been skating for about 5 years now, started skating back home in Quebec and somehow made my way to Toronto. This is my first semester here at this amazing school called the Oasis Skateboard Factory. I am really excited and thankful for this amazing oppurtunity. I hope to return next year because this year is going by way too fast.

My board is made from 7 plys of Canadian maple. We carefully glued and placed the veneers together pressing them with a vacuum sealed bag. After a day of drying it was ready to be shaped and sanded down to a nice smooth pintail shape.

For the design, at first I really didn't know what I was going to put on my first deck that is going to be shredded by me. So I thought hey, why not put me on it! I kind of went outside the box with this one. I started off thinking I would put my shirt, shorts and face on it so when I held it up it looks like you're looking through a crazier universe than we already live in.

To start my design, I taped up my board with some green tape, drew the first layer which is usually the background. I decided not to put a background… Why, you may ask? Well its simply cause I liked the wood grain much better. So the first layer was my shirt. I taped it up, drew on how my shirt was going to look then took a stencil cutter and cut out everything I drew. I put layer after layer of hard work. Every time I went to spray on a layer, another idea hit me. So I really just went with the flow with this one. It was the perfect opportunity for me to really express myself differently on a skateboard. A lot of time, hard work, tape and spray paint was used for this.

As for the near future.. I just really want to get nollie inward heel flips on lockdown. Until then I'll just be playing in the sand.