Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, December 15, 2017

HRNDZ

I’m a 16 year old student at OSF. Hernandez Boards delivers minimalist
and elegant board designs with collegiate style logos. My first board
was inspired by an old school pool deck and my second board is a
modern street deck.
It was fun experience making my first skateboard. It was more
difficult than I expected though: It was hard gluing up the layers of
Canadian maple veneers within a short time period before they dry and
delam. After I pressed the board onto the mold I had to sand it and
shape it. This was the first project I’ve woodworked. I applied the
graphic by making a mock up on Photoshop then resizing it and
transferring it on to masking tape. I had to cut out the tape to make
a stencil that I then spray painted over. To finish both boards I
glossed them to seal them.
I feel proud of my first boards. The reason why I named my brand after
myself is that my last name is unique and interesting. It’s cool that
popular brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein etc. are named after
the founder and the name becomes a memorable brand. I’m excited to
launch my personal brand at our end of semester Pop Up Shop at
Anomaly, January 26 7-10PM.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling



@hernandezboardco