Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Earth & Colour


I am currently a student at OSF, but before that I used to go to a normal public school. Being in class bored and not being interested in my classes at all made me just doodle over all my notes and binders and that is how I devolved all my characters and drawings I can now use at OSF. I put tougher my own doodle land that I could escape to during class.  OSF is a great school for students who want to focus on their own art!

The graphic that I have made for my first deck is the planet earth looking gray and colourless with colours leaving earth in a flowy way. This graphic was what sparked my interest in art because I had bad grades in every class (including art) but I doodled all the time and the first time I put effort into an art piece at my old school I got an amazing mark. This graphic consist of layers of spray paint and then some touch ups with paint marker. The board has stars all over it to keep the board looking consistent. 

The board also only has primary colours and shades. The reason for only using primary colours is because those are the essentials and without those we have no other colours; if those leave the earth (as they are in the graphic) then the world will be colourless. What I am trying to communicate is that we should appreciate things more... even if it's small things like colour.  

From making this board I learned a lot of things to do next time and not do ever again like when you cut the tape with the blade do not press hard or else it will leave lines on the wood; also always cover things you do not want painted. Overall, I am pretty happy with my first board and I am proud of myself. I'm very stoked for the upcoming decks I'm working on and going to be working on.