Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Heresy Diamond Cut



Hi my brand name is Heresy. It is a word that means unorthodox or rebellious to a certain culture. I think this brand really ties into who I am. It also ties in with the movement at OSF: Skateboarding and Graffiti are things that would seem unorthodox or rebellious to the public, but they are a way of life to the people at Oasis. This custom longboard represents the theme of our school; it has the Toronto skyline that represents where we are from and graffiti style lettering for my brand Heresy. One person that I have to thank for assisting me in all the aspects of designing my board is a fellow student and student lead designer TRNE TRKS. He has inspired me to really be more creative with my work and has showed me the best techniques for everything it takes to make a custom board.

This board was made completely by hand including the shape which was cut down from a standard pintail longboard. Our boards are made with vacuum bag technology created by Roarockit. The invention of this bag is what made everything possible for this school; if it wasn’t for Ted & Norah (Owners of Roarockit), none of this would be possible. One of the techniques that I learned while producing my board other than woodworking is doing spray paint fades from one color to the next. This may seem easy, but making everything look even and bold can sometimes be a difficult task. The texture I was trying to get across in the middle of the board was a crack that revealed Toronto’s Skyline. 

The shape of this board is a diamond and I use this as my brand logo for now because I really think skateboarding and graffiti have something in common: you can be wealthy in creativity! Through this board I was trying to communicate that even though it may seem that these two things are rebellious they all tie into making this city what it is today.  All in all, I feel very confident with my first board. Oasis Skateboard Factory has really opened my eyes to all the opportunities!