Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Another Coffin...



This is my first semester at Oasis Skateboard Factory. I've lived in Toronto all my life. I’ve never moved except when it came to schools. I was jumping from school to school trying to find the right fit for me. Throughout high school I was never really active or played any sports; I was mostly only just acing my art classes. When I first heard of OSF I really didn't consider the school as I had no experience skateboarding. Once I heard drawing and design was involved I thought it would be an interesting experience. Turns out I am now showing up to school, enjoying waking up to come to class to finish projects, and share some new drawings. I was never too confident about my art till I went to OSF. I felt like my art is finally starting to be appreciated. I have started drawing again like crazy. Now I've been drawing way more then I used too.

For my first board I decided to do a doll from my favorite anime "Another". She always kind of creeped me out in a beautiful way. There’s something about dolls I’m so drawn too. My love for creepy, gory looking dolls started when I was 10 years old and my dad brought me home this doll in a coffin from the brand "Living Dead Dolls". I guess those dolls replaced my "Barbie phase". Many artists and characters have inspired me, like Shary Boyle, Mary Pratt, Tim Burton, Emily the Strange, John Tenniel, and the list goes on.

I plan to make more longboards with my original drawings of dolls in the future.