Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Jokesmith























I'm a 17 year old student in Oasis Skateboard Factory. I'm the creator and designer of my personal skateboard brand called Jokesmith.
The theme of this skateboard design is sneaky and sinister. I portrayed that by illustrating a creepy looking jester with a similar colour scheme to the Joker. I also added vertical black lines to the board similar to a circus pattern or Beetlejuice.
My inspiration came from the name of my brand. I worked from the idea of how Jokesmith sounded. Initially I thought of a evil, clown, jester type creature and the idea stuck. I added on more small ideas from there, like his snake like body.
To create my design, I used a stencilling technique. I started by covering the surface of the board with tape and cutting out the shapes of my design. Layer by layer, I used every different colour in my design to differentiate the shapes and create the whole image.
What I aimed to communicate with this design is a sinister jester who can take risks. He has no hesitation to do what he pleases. I tried to communicate that by giving him a smug expression and have him holding cards to show his risk taking in gambling.
Overall, I'm very pleased about my first skateboard. It shows me I'm ready to take my next design further!