Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, October 21, 2016

ZIM Skateboards

I'm 17 years old and a first year student at OSF. My brand is Zim skateboards. The theme of Zim Skateboards is a retro feeling style to remind us that skateboarding is all about fun. Zim Skateboards exists to remind us the root of skateboarding is fun. Big influences on my boards are definitely Alva, Bones and Powell Peralta. I also worked all summer with Evolve Skate Camp and was influenced alot by the kids and parents I worked with. I am super stoked to be building and working with skate boards.
The materials that I used are Canadian hard rock maple, Montana black spray paint, painter's tape, and a vacuum press to press my board to the perfect shape. I only skate the best of the best. I'm trying to communicate that skateboarding is about having fun and in doing so I'm going with a retro theme. I use bright colors and loud graphics to grab people's attention and get them interested in the art and culture of skateboarding, while trying to include more people in the culture I love.

My first board turned out pretty good. I think I rushed it a bit because I was so excited to get other people on a board for the first time or to get them back on a board. I feel that on my next board I want to focus more on my lines in my graphic by vectoring the image and taking more time to focus on the stencil, when I cut it out. Even though this board is a 9/10 in my books I had a good time making it. Now I know how the process works so my next board will be easily 12/10. Now let's go skate!