Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Skeleton (Custom Longboard)


My art is often dark and horror inspired, and this board was no different. Instead of a painted graphic to show a theme, I decided to use extra wood and carve out an abstract ribcage/spine and mount them along the underside of the board. The deck type is called a drop-through longboard which means that the trucks are installed through the top of the board and covered with a metal plate.

I actually didn’t think too much about how it would work at first. I knew I wanted to make something that would be unique, look good, and be fully functional despite its crazy shape. Looking at a regular drop-through deck inspired the shape of the ribs. I saw that the foot bed of the board (where you stand) would be a perfect fit for a ribcage. The lines created by the ribs make the board eye-catching, and because of the extra layers it has dimension. I also added cracks, grooves, and shapes to give it a bone-like texture.

As I cut out the ribs and spine pieces I felt like Dr. Frankenstein designing my own monster. Building this monster took lot of work, but it was well worth the effort! This longboard is unlike any I’ve ever seen. By creating this board I have pushed my limit and I know in the future I can create other innovative skateboard designs.