Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tattoo Skull


I’m a student here at Oasis Skateboard Factory; I just finished making my first skateboard inspired by the old-school/Mexican “days of the dead” tattoo style. The graphic is of a skull with an old-school flower and banner held up by a bird. The board has a dark brown mahogany stain that brings out the natural lines in the wood. My reason for designing it with the tattoo style is that I’m very inspired by tattoo art and have tattoos myself. When I get older I will probably go into something tattoo related.

Going into this I just wanted to create a graphic that was simple and tattoo inspired. I used no color to create this image, only black and white, which makes the graphic bolder. The bold lines and lack of shading also really bring out the contrast in the image. To create this board first I stained it, and then let it dry over night. Then I taped on the stencil I previously made the week before and sprayed it on. Then I removed the tape and had my finished project that I am very happy and proud of. So overall it was a pretty easy project.

Overall I learned a lot of new skills and techniques to use on boards that I will continue to make in the future. I like the way the stain looks on the board and I’m happy that I learned how to do that along with other things to create more boards. Next time I would like to not rush it because the end result will turn out much greater if you just give it time.