Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

SMILEZ




I’m 17 years old and I’ve been to three different high schools over the last four years. The first two I attended weren’t for me so I kept looking for a school where I could pursue my dreams. Then I found Oasis Skateboard Factory.

It’s now my first semester at OSF. We started off building and designing a personal board and marketing our own brands. The brand that I designed is called Smilez. The brand represents my personality and the important people in my life who are always smiling. They are the people that keep me going. I decided to use Smilez for my brand because I wanted to send out a message to people that Smilez is about wearing a smile: the best thing you can wear everyday!

For my personal board I chose to make a pintail longboard. It’s made of seven layers of hard-rock maple and pressed with Roarockit air press technology. For the first step of the graphic, I stained the wood black. The second step was to stencil the design of the three characters. These characters are a representation of people in my life who inspire me. The third step was to stencil the background design, which was a graffiti piece representing my brand Smilez. I had the letters wrap around the board so it would just look like a design rather than letters.

This is my first board I made at OSF and I’m really proud of the outcome of the design. I’ve already learned so many new things this semester and look forward to what Oasis has in store for me!