Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Unknown



I’m a Toronto born and bred artist and designer inspired by the city and the art that it holds. I’ve been doodling since I was a little kid, but OSF is helping me to go further than that and make art that not only looks good but can be used as design for boards, buttons, and stickers; being able to make the jump from paper to wood grain.

I started with 7 layers of pre-cut Canadian maple and used Roarockit technology to glue and press it into the shape of a pintail. I then tried to find inspiration in the world of skateboard graphics. At first I wanted to do something related to my brand Hood Cats but I saw a lack of bold coloured pattern work in any skateboard design I’ve ever seen. I wanted to make a board that looks like something different to every person. I like to have people tell me what they think it looks like; every time they told me something strange and different.

I’m not sure what I was trying to say with this board. Maybe it’s the sense of not knowing what it is that I think will draw people in. I want people to be able to always see something new in this board. I’m kind of sick of skateboard designs that make sense. I want to put something no one would ever expect to find on a board into my design. This board was a lot of fun to make and I am looking forward to my next one!