Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Monday, June 17, 2013

Ride Low Industries




I’m a first semester student at Oasis Skateboard Factory.  My brand is “Ride Low Industries”, which is a cruising/longboarding company.  My target market is anyone that’s looking for a cheap, low emission way to get around the city.

For my personal board I chose to do three skeletons oriented to show the progression of how to get on a board.  It wasn’t really my first idea, the first idea was to put “Ride Low Industries” across the bottom but I didn’t like how it looked. Designing the board was probably the hardest thing about making the board.  I found all the woodworking went by quickly and then when it came time for me to put a picture on the deck there were so many options.  I just didn’t know what to do and what I’d like best.

For the design I picked I had to first find a skeleton graphic, which was just a side view of a skeleton standing straight so I needed to change the image to fit the progression.  I used a light box and through lots of trial and error I came up with the final images.  Then I applied a black base coat, and then had to create three individual stencils and then sprayed them white.  Then I used a Fineliner to draw in all the detail.

From designing this board I learned that there is a lot more that goes into designing a board than wood and a picture.  I like the board, but I think it could be a lot better...I’ve heard that everyone has that feeling about their first personal board.