Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Saturday, October 24, 2015

Safe in your Skin: new OSF student's first branded board


 I am 16 years old and I am a tattoo-style based artist. This year is my first year at OSF, and the board I have created here for my brand “ Safe In Your Skin is my first of many to come.

My brand - Safe in Your Skin, is a brand I created for people to be able to feel comfortable in their own skin. For my first branded board, I used the iconic image of Rosie the Riveter. I used her because the original image came with the quote ”you can do it” and also when I look at Rosie the Riveter I see a strong woman who isn’t afraid to be comfortable in her own skin.

As for inspiration, I’ve always been intrested in tattoo themed designs. I also thought they were cool and looked badass, and in today’s society, “badass” is usually a term used by guys, so I wanted to shine the light on female empowerment.

The different mediums that were used during the proccess of asembling this board included using a tape stencil, some misting (spraypaint), stipling (with a paintmarker), and layering my colours so I could make my board look more neat and organized. The board I created is a street deck, which was also sanded and woodworked by myself as well.

What I am trying to communicate is the appriciation of beauty, and by beauty I mean all beauty. I basically want people to be confident and bold, while being in their own comfortability, in their own surroundings, in their own skin.

For this being my first ever skateboard that I have made from scratch, I never realised how hard
it would actually be. I have bought skateboards previously, and now I can honestly say I appriciate the time and effort that is put into creating something that looks so simple, or easy. I must say, as a young artist, I’m supriserd that I have creating a skateboard with such a strong meaning. I hope to inspire other young kids to not only skate, but to create.