Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Safe in your Skin: new OSF student's first branded board


 I am 16 years old and I am a tattoo-style based artist. This year is my first year at OSF, and the board I have created here for my brand “ Safe In Your Skin is my first of many to come.

My brand - Safe in Your Skin, is a brand I created for people to be able to feel comfortable in their own skin. For my first branded board, I used the iconic image of Rosie the Riveter. I used her because the original image came with the quote ”you can do it” and also when I look at Rosie the Riveter I see a strong woman who isn’t afraid to be comfortable in her own skin.

As for inspiration, I’ve always been intrested in tattoo themed designs. I also thought they were cool and looked badass, and in today’s society, “badass” is usually a term used by guys, so I wanted to shine the light on female empowerment.

The different mediums that were used during the proccess of asembling this board included using a tape stencil, some misting (spraypaint), stipling (with a paintmarker), and layering my colours so I could make my board look more neat and organized. The board I created is a street deck, which was also sanded and woodworked by myself as well.

What I am trying to communicate is the appriciation of beauty, and by beauty I mean all beauty. I basically want people to be confident and bold, while being in their own comfortability, in their own surroundings, in their own skin.

For this being my first ever skateboard that I have made from scratch, I never realised how hard
it would actually be. I have bought skateboards previously, and now I can honestly say I appriciate the time and effort that is put into creating something that looks so simple, or easy. I must say, as a young artist, I’m supriserd that I have creating a skateboard with such a strong meaning. I hope to inspire other young kids to not only skate, but to create.