Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, March 29, 2018

@pop_sk8_to


Image may contain: 2 people, people smilingImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

I'm 17 years old and I am the creator of POP SK8. I have recently been re-introduced to skateboarding and learning more about longboarding. POP SK8 exists to provide a platform to bring together the worlds of cartoon, comic art, and sk8 culture. My new innovations were making a custom dancing longboard shape, using bamboo veneers, using Black Panther comics decoupage and sealing it with polyurethane.

The white cut-outs contrasts with the bamboo and rythm comes from the layout of the comics. I wanted to represent my thoughts on Black Panther with this board. Many people feel like its a black empowerment movie, but I think the character Black Panther is more so, being a black superhero created in the 60's, during the civil rights movement.
I really like how this board turned out and glad to have made this in black history month. The shape came out really well, but next time I need to be more careful with the comics.