Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, November 2, 2018

A new deck from Playground Skateboards:



























I'm 17 and I run Playground Skateboards. Playground Skateboards exists to celebrate your inner child. This is my third semester at OSF. 
For this board I wanted to make a deck with a shape I've never done before. While we were doing the OSF Old School Indig project last year, I was inspired by Alva's classic surf-style boards. The shape is really pleasing to look at and I wanted to make a new filmer board because I sold my prototype at the Bentway skate park this summer. This board will be a smooth and sturdy cruiser. 
I started by researching shapes online. Looking at the veneers we already had in class I decided to cut this board out of a pre-existing pintail shape to save time and resources. For the graphic I initially wanted to try experimenting with texture and art styles, but once I realized the shape already looked like a duck, quaked like a duck I had to make it into a duck. The graphic was applied using tape stencils. For the elements and principles of design I focused on using shapes with no outlines because it's unusual and really unifies my artwork. 
This is my favourite board I've made so far because I was more independent and able to use the techniques I've learned over the past year. Compared to my first board my cuts have gotten way more clean and I've become more confident in adding more layers to my stencils. This board makes me want to venture out and try more shapes and keep experimenting with my art style.