Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Killin’ it since Diapers


The idea behind the skateboard I made was a longboard that was shorter than the conventional ones but also wide enough that it still has a similar feel. The idea for the graphic was “killing it since pampers”, so initially I had the idea to do a baby with a Jason mask. Then I found a picture of a baby with a bear and I knew what had to be done. At first the image did not include the machete, but I felt it needed something to help compensate for the size of the bear so I added it the day before we printed stickers.

The board itself is made with 8 layers of 100% Canadian Maple pressed overnight. From there I traced on the shape of the board and cut it out with a jig-saw. After that I shaped and sanded the board until everything was smooth and most edges where rounded. Once that was done I drilled the truck holes and stained the board with a mixture of 3 aniline dyes. When that was dry I stencilled in the white layer which is the bear and the baby’s body. From there I taped off the shape of the Jason mask and painted it gold, leaving the triangles above and below the eyes the colour of the stained wood. Once that was said done I taped it off again and cut out all the black detail, sprayed it and sealed it with a layer of glossy lacquer.

Overall, I’m happy with the skateboard and I’m planning to do a custom grip job on it. I’m going to use it as an example of the type of products I want to produce through my brand Consume that I will continue to develop next semester. I’m pleased with the fact that I accomplished the longboard look while still keeping the length shorter.