Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vicious Venom


I’m 20 years old and a lead designer at Oasis Skateboard Factory. I’m hoping to be making skateboards and longboards long after I leave Oasis Skateboard Factory.

I wanted to do something original and I hadn’t seen many longboards with a custom shape let alone one completely shaped like a snake; I think the way a longboard moves kind of reminds me of how a snake moves and that’s how I got the idea. I actually liked a longboard another head designer here had come up with last year and it also inspired me to make a custom shape. The fact that Roarockit had coloured wood veneers as an option gave me the idea for the colour of the snake. I also wanted some of the natural wood showing in the background. I had fun trying to figure out how to make that happen.

It was tricky to make this board, I'm not going to lie! I had to press two red veneers separated with wax paper from six regular veneers on the same mould so they lined up. I then cut the two separate shapes out and pressed them together again. Each scale has three different colours in it in a different pattern; I did this to make it stand out. I thought gold on red would be a good colour combination and give it a softer look, where as the silver and black would still make it pop out.

This longboard is something original and it’s something that hasn’t been done before. I'm just happy I got to do it first, even if it was a bit risky choosing to do something like this without really knowing how to. Figuring it out as I went was difficult, but it was a lot easier with the help of Ted at Roarockit.