Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vicious Venom


I’m 20 years old and a lead designer at Oasis Skateboard Factory. I’m hoping to be making skateboards and longboards long after I leave Oasis Skateboard Factory.

I wanted to do something original and I hadn’t seen many longboards with a custom shape let alone one completely shaped like a snake; I think the way a longboard moves kind of reminds me of how a snake moves and that’s how I got the idea. I actually liked a longboard another head designer here had come up with last year and it also inspired me to make a custom shape. The fact that Roarockit had coloured wood veneers as an option gave me the idea for the colour of the snake. I also wanted some of the natural wood showing in the background. I had fun trying to figure out how to make that happen.

It was tricky to make this board, I'm not going to lie! I had to press two red veneers separated with wax paper from six regular veneers on the same mould so they lined up. I then cut the two separate shapes out and pressed them together again. Each scale has three different colours in it in a different pattern; I did this to make it stand out. I thought gold on red would be a good colour combination and give it a softer look, where as the silver and black would still make it pop out.

This longboard is something original and it’s something that hasn’t been done before. I'm just happy I got to do it first, even if it was a bit risky choosing to do something like this without really knowing how to. Figuring it out as I went was difficult, but it was a lot easier with the help of Ted at Roarockit.