Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Umbilical Board

My name is Kevin and I recently turned 17! I’m a new student at the Oasis Skateboard Factory. For my first personal board, I decided to make a mini board; The Umbilical Board. The Umbilical Board is a baby who is being held up by his umbilical cord. The inspiration comes from horror movies and cute things I see on Tumblr. The materials I used are tape, x-acto knife, paper, spray paint, and a maple wood mini board. The technique that was used to make the board was stenciling. We would tape up the board then trace the outline of the graphic onto the tape. Then we’d proceed with cutting out the outline then spray painting it. We would do it layer by layers and eventually the graphic would be done! The elements and principle of design that I used are the value in purple, the round shapes, and the repetition of shapes and colours throughout the board. The purple on the board fades out as it approaches the head and I mostly used round shapes for the graphic. For my first board I think I did okay, it’s full of flaws but I learned to move on from them. I learned how to spray paint and how to use stencils to make a skateboard design! There was a lot of work, took a lot of time, and I wasted a lot of tears but it was worth it.