Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Skeleton King


This is my first board at Oasis Skateboard Factory. Before coming to Oasis I was enrolled at Malvern Collegiate. When I was at Malvern I didn’t quite feel like I belonged there. Now that I am at Oasis I have never felt more at home than I do now. I get along really well with everyone in my class and we all have common interests in art. I feel that I am now reaching my full artistic potential at Oasis because of the large emphasis on doing art as part of the program.

The theme of my board is ghosts, skeletons and Halloween type stuff. It depicts a skeleton king holding a sword with an arm in a bun surrounded by ghosts. The board itself is made of seven separate veneers of 100% Canadian maple wood air pressed together. To get all of the thick layers, I stencilled the design and spray painted the colours on. I then used paint markers to get the thin lines on to the skull. I used a lot of thick blacks and thin lines to give the effect of shading. My major influences for my style of art are mostly comic book artists such as Jim Lee and Dave Gibbons. I really enjoy flat colours, thin lines and crosshatching to give detailed effects in my art. I think my personal drawing style is translated to my board very well because of the graphic I chose.

I am very proud of the work I did on my first board. The graphic design I put on really reflects the style of drawings I do. I am very happy with my first board and I am really excited to make many more here at Oasis.