Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sustain



I skate.  This is my first semester at OSF.  I like woodworking and skateboarding, and the whole skateboarding community and culture. 
My inspiration for the Sustain board (top) was the amount of wasted skateboards that are thrown away every year. It’s a lot of wood used, and once a board snaps it's not used any more.  The theme is upcycling, turning a useless product into something that can be used.  My version of the recycling logo represents my brand.  It represents something bigger that I am planning to do:  turn broken boards into household objects, such as benches, coasters, cutting boards, etc.
The board is 7-ply Canadian maple.  I used five colours of spray paint, stencils and gloss.  The technique I used to create this board was to use a fade and then repeat the stencil in a reverse fade toward the name of my brand name Sustain.  The design uses colour, repletion and pattern.  The board turned out how I wanted it to.  The black section of the board represents wastefulness, and the nice wood grain represents upcycling and reusing.  It really represents who I am and what my brand represents.