Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Snot Rocket


Hey, I’ve been going to Oasis Skateboard Factory for about a semester now. I found out about it through a former student last year, when I also started skating so I thought why not? My favorite thing about OSF is that it is filled with opportunities. The first custom board I made was a custom-shaped mini-cruiser which no previous student got to do as their first board: an amazing opportunity on its own! 

My skateboard is an Ed Roth, Rat Fink, old hot rod style piece. The custom mini shape of the board is chopped like a hot rod itself with a flame on the nose, and the wacky fuzzy booger is the grimy adrenaline-crazed character that every Ed Roth graphic has. The board is made of 7-ply Canadian maple and pressed using Roarockit’s trademarked vacuum technology. It was shaped  using a jigsaw and hand painted with paint-marker and spray paint. 

I’m quite satisfied with how my board ended up and I’m currently debating whether or not to skate it. As for what I learned.... paint-marker fixes everything!