Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Gnarwhal Skate Co.


Yo, wassup?! I'm a first semester student at OSF. My brand that I have created is Gnarwhal Skate Co.. For my first board I stencilled the word gnarwhal in a graff font that is also known as a throwie or throw-up. The colour scheme that I chose for my board is yellow, blue and miscellaneous colours that I splattered onto my board. I chose these colours because they're vibrant and nice on the eyes. I used the splatter affect to give it some pop.

The way this board was made was with Roarockit technology. We took 7 wood veneers, glued them, and then pressed them in a vacuum seal bag. After the board was pressed I had to do a lot of sanding. After that I taped up the whole board to create the stencil of my throwie. To get the splatter effect I had to press the cap down really lightly so that it would spit.

My brand is about having a good time and bringing people together; this relates to me because that's what I'm all about, just chillin' and having a good time. I like to skate with my homies at skateparks and random skate spots. I also like graffiti a lot which is why I decide to make the throwie stencil. Some of my favourite graffiti artist in toronto are Kwest, Poser ABM, Agens ABM, WC crew, BA crew, BSM crew, LSD crew, KPS crew, and HSA crew. LOL, I guess almost all crews in Toronto inspire me!

I was pretty happy with the outcome of my board, even though it didn't come out the way it was planned. I ended up doing the stencil backwards and improvised the the whole board from there.
It was kinda stressful, but in the end it was really fun and a good experience.