Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Uneasy


























Hi, I am a returning OSF student.  I have been working on my brand, which is focussed on two different things.  It's called Uneasy.  I want to embrace two things that are at the opposite of the spectrum. It is bringing together the idea of pretty, but I hate that word and the idea of darkness.  It is sort of like me, people call me "Hippy-Punk".  It is changing people's perception of what pretty is, that pretty can also be dark and disturbing.

The theme of my board intertwines with my brand.  It includes a skull with horns that I drew by hand surrounded by flowers. My inspiration was my grandmother's garden: her flowers were beautiful and I really wanted to put them on a skateboard, with one of my own images to add some darkness.

I pressed the board using 7 sheets of Canadian Maple veneer; two of the veneers were colour infused red using Roar Rocket technology.  I cut out a custom pool deck shape then I rounded the edges.  I wood-burned the graphic and the logo, and water coloured the flowers red.  I incorporated balance into the design to make a more symmetrical design.  I also used line, which is emphasized with the wood-burning technique.

I am trying to change people's perception of pretty or beautiful with the board.  Making this board, I learned it is a lot more difficult trying to make a custom shape but it was worth it. I love my board!