Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Saturday, November 22, 2014

Uneasy


























Hi, I am a returning OSF student.  I have been working on my brand, which is focussed on two different things.  It's called Uneasy.  I want to embrace two things that are at the opposite of the spectrum. It is bringing together the idea of pretty, but I hate that word and the idea of darkness.  It is sort of like me, people call me "Hippy-Punk".  It is changing people's perception of what pretty is, that pretty can also be dark and disturbing.

The theme of my board intertwines with my brand.  It includes a skull with horns that I drew by hand surrounded by flowers. My inspiration was my grandmother's garden: her flowers were beautiful and I really wanted to put them on a skateboard, with one of my own images to add some darkness.

I pressed the board using 7 sheets of Canadian Maple veneer; two of the veneers were colour infused red using Roar Rocket technology.  I cut out a custom pool deck shape then I rounded the edges.  I wood-burned the graphic and the logo, and water coloured the flowers red.  I incorporated balance into the design to make a more symmetrical design.  I also used line, which is emphasized with the wood-burning technique.

I am trying to change people's perception of pretty or beautiful with the board.  Making this board, I learned it is a lot more difficult trying to make a custom shape but it was worth it. I love my board!