Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...

APPLY NOW for Semester 2/February Start!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year.)


Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mint


This is my first year at OSF.  For my personal board assignment I decided to paint a feather in a watercolour style using acrylic paint onto a longboard. I originally saw a similar image as a tattoo and decided that it's shape would be well suited to the shape of a longboard. I also decided to leave the natural woodgrain showing in the background as it sort of added to the "organic" feel.

This all ties in quite well to the feel that I am trying to create for my brand, Mint. It's something clean and fresh as this type of "fine arts" approach to skateboard/longboard graphics is not something I typically see. I am trying to keep with an organic feel to the graphics, using nature ihages to inspire me.

The board itself was made by pressing together 7 maple veneers on a mold using a vacuum seal Roarockit bag. Then the edges were sanded down until they were all flush, and then rounded. After everything was sanded down one last time and then I began to paint on my graphic.

I learned a lot about forethought and planning when it came to this project, and about paying attention to detail. Overall I am satisfied with how this came out.