Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

DISTRICT


Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing




















I live in the city of Toronto, Ontario. This is my second semester at OSF. My brand is District. We exist to ensure that sport is pure fun. For my first deck of the year I made a mini with the CN tower as a surf-style stripe.
I was inspired by the designer Evan Hecox who does boards for Chocolate Skateboards. I like how he does series of boards inspired by landscapes around the world. For District I want to create a series of boards based on the city of Toronto.
I pressed this board out of seven plys of maple. Then I shaped it and sanded it. I did a lot of brainstorming of different designs before I landed on one that was a good balance of simple and detailed and looked very clean. I also decided to use Olde English font instead of the cursive I’ve used in the past. I dipped the board black and then used green tape to outline the CN tower before spray painting it with a speckled effect. The element of design I used is shape because the graphic is 2-D and the principle of emphasis where the gold and silver shape stands out in the middle of the board.
I think the board turned out well although the gloss seal was tricky to get even. This is the first of a series of boards based on famous towers and landmarks around the world. My goal is to get my brand out there and connecting with a wide audience. I want people to hear about District.