Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, October 27, 2018

XV




























XV: I am new to OSF. My brand is XV. XV exists to represent the evil within everyone.

The theme of my board is based on the tarot card of the devil. I'm inspired by horror films like Anti-Christ, A Serbian Film and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm also inspired by heavy metal bands like Slayer, Metallica and Motorhead. I like art that shows the dark side of humanity. Instead of looking away I'm fascinated and want to understand more.

To make this board I pressed maple veneers in a Roarockit vacuum bag. I sanded the board by hand and painted the grip and graphic side black. To get the graphic on the board I taped up the board and transferred the image using graphite paper. Then I cut out the graphic using an x-acto knife. It was difficult because of all the little details. After painting the stencil white I used black paint marker to add small details. The element of design I used was line, creating a variety of lines to give the image texture and shading.

Overall I feel happy with my first skateboard. I liked the whole process of making it and seeing the final product made me feel accomplished. I learned a few things along the way like to not move the stencil because it takes a long time to fix it. I also learned to include lots of detail and that spray painting is fun. Expect more dark designs coming soon from XV.