Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gifts from the Pacific


My board was created as a gift for my Mother’s birthday, so it was designed in a way that I felt would be pleasing to her. As a 16 year old with a Pacific background and a taste for the arts, what better gift could I have come up with? My deck design includes a turtle, lizards, and hibiscus flowers in the background on a blonde board. The turtle represents family, a sense of direction, new beginnings, strength, adaptability and protection. The lizards on my board are symbols of good luck, happiness, serenity, elegance, beauty, wealth and prosperity. The hibiscus flowers represent delicate and fragile beauty.

All images on the board were produced by cutting them out of acetate then spraying them onto the board with spray paint. The hibiscus flowers create a pattern of repetition using tints of blue and pink. The images are all balanced along the board, with the turtle in the middle and a lizard on each side.

Personally, I’m quite happy with the way my board turned out. I love that it has a nice island feel to it. I spent quite a bit of time working on this board, (this being the first board I’ve ever created) and I think I can say I did a pretty damn good job. =D