Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Job Interview


The original idea behind my board is that the character I created is waiting in the call room for a job interview; the eyes in the background represent the paranoia that my character feels in this situation. All eyes are on him.

I am sixteen years old. I like to skateboard and pretty much everything that goes along with skateboarding, including making skateboards. The inspiration behind my board is a Zoo York memorial board for Harold Hunter, a dead pro skater and NYC legend. I used spray paint and stencils that are made by cutting out acetate. I tried to create contrast with the colours I used; the eyes in the background are supposed to create repetition and patterning. I wasn’t really trying to communicate with anybody other than myself; I just freehanded a character that really caught my interest and wanted to expand on that sketch.

After looking at the end result, I feel good about what I created. It turned out a lot better than I expected. This board took me over two months to make. I put a lot of my creative energy into it and I am stoked! I guess that’s all I can ask for.