Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sweet Music


I myself have been skateboarding ever since I was young. About a year or so ago I really started to get into longboarding. That is why I chose to build a longboard. The inspiration behind the design of my longboard was my girlfriend. The design of my longboard includes my girlfriend blowing away a dandelion, which then turns into a music staff that houses the song “The Final Cut” by Coheed & Cambria, one of our favorite songs.

The way I made the design started by taking a picture of my girlfriend, then laying it out where I wanted it on my long board template. After that I hand drew the music staff and notes, as well as the drips coming off her sleeve. The music curving up the board gives the design a nice flowing rhythm. Having the drips at the bottom of the image gives the design a nice balanced look. After getting my design how I liked it, I then broke it down into separate sections and separate layers.

The amount of layers you have in your design is how many stencils you have to cut. To get a layer ready to cut you use a sheet of acetate to trace out your layer. Once you have your layer traced onto your acetate, you are then ready to cut it out using an X-acto blade. After all your layers are cut, you’re ready to spray.

This longboard being my first ever made, I have to say I’m super happy with how it finally turned out. I can’t wait to take it down a nice big hill. After I’m done riding my custom-built and custom-designed longboard, I might be hanging it on my wall. I might even give it to my girlfriend, but shhh, it’s a secret!