Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sweet Music


I myself have been skateboarding ever since I was young. About a year or so ago I really started to get into longboarding. That is why I chose to build a longboard. The inspiration behind the design of my longboard was my girlfriend. The design of my longboard includes my girlfriend blowing away a dandelion, which then turns into a music staff that houses the song “The Final Cut” by Coheed & Cambria, one of our favorite songs.

The way I made the design started by taking a picture of my girlfriend, then laying it out where I wanted it on my long board template. After that I hand drew the music staff and notes, as well as the drips coming off her sleeve. The music curving up the board gives the design a nice flowing rhythm. Having the drips at the bottom of the image gives the design a nice balanced look. After getting my design how I liked it, I then broke it down into separate sections and separate layers.

The amount of layers you have in your design is how many stencils you have to cut. To get a layer ready to cut you use a sheet of acetate to trace out your layer. Once you have your layer traced onto your acetate, you are then ready to cut it out using an X-acto blade. After all your layers are cut, you’re ready to spray.

This longboard being my first ever made, I have to say I’m super happy with how it finally turned out. I can’t wait to take it down a nice big hill. After I’m done riding my custom-built and custom-designed longboard, I might be hanging it on my wall. I might even give it to my girlfriend, but shhh, it’s a secret!