Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Bat Board!



Inspired by my childhood years of watching Batman cartoons, this custom deck was definitely my highlight board of the year. This custom longboard was built in full day sessions, once a week for four weeks, at Roarockit Studio. With help from Ted Hunter, a template was drawn out, the mold was shaped, and veneers were cut. A spine was constructed with four layers of veneer that were pressed against the shape of the board then cut smaller and attached.

This project definitely opened up an entirely different world of board shaping for me. I no longer think skateboard art applies only to graphics, but to the shape of the board itself as well. As a student who has completed the program at OSF, I have pushed the envelope and expanded my skills as an art student. The Bat Board has taught me to pay as much attention to my canvas as I do to my art work.