Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Friday, May 14, 2010

Hot Dog


I am 17 years old and I live in Toronto near the beach. I’ve been a student here at Oasis Skateboard Factory since the second semester.

This board was inspired by Frank Kozik for his random animals and foods smoking cigarettes. I chose to make a silly cartoon hotdog with camouflage colours (ketchup, mustard and relish) in the background to add context for the hotdog. I made the hotdog in a cartoon style to emphasize the humour and wackiness. The letters and colours are bold and bright to make this board stick out from others.

The board has a simple message: to simply bring laughter and for people to appreciate how random it is. This board also serves as a reminder for people to just have fun and bring joy.

This is the first board I have completed and I have never felt more satisfied with anything like this in a very long time. Before I made this board I was terrible at making stencils, but through this experience I have upgraded my skills and learned a lot about the building process. I am really proud of the results of my final deck!