Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sustain


I skate street and I come from East York. I’ve been going to OSF since February. I created this design on a bamboo deck and I was inspired by Asian wildlife. I mixed that with Shepard Fairey’s famous Andre The Giant picture and reworked it. The theme of my skateboard is sustainability and using bamboo instead of non-sustainable materials.

The materials I used to make this board were black and white spray paint and the technique I used was taping the whole board, drawing a stencil and cutting out the image so I could get a sharper, clearer picture. The elements and principles of design I used were contrast and balance. I was trying to communicate that we should be using more sustainable materials like bamboo and other things so we don’t waste all of our natural resources.

I feel really proud of making this board and I think it came out a lot better than I thought it would. There were times I really thought I was going to mess it up, but it all worked out in the end.