Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Miigwich Longboards

























Hi, my brand is Miigwich longboards. My brand is made to reflect my beliefs in celebrating urban indigenous culture. The theme of my skateboard follows indigenous roots with graphics of topography and the turtle. The turtle symbolizes movement and nature. The topography represents level and depths seen from a bird’s eye view. My inspiration comes from my fellow classmates at Oasis Skateboard Factory where we can bounce ideas off each other and critique our designs. My material includes 100% maple wood which provides a lightweight yet strong foundation. I went against traditional board creation methods by glossing the wood before painting. This created a semi-reflective surface which allows the viewer to appreciate indigenous culture. Ample space was used to show the wood-grain and focus on the turtle. The curved lines are different with some being thicker than others. This signifies the landscape view from above. The texture is smooth. Minimal colours are used to contrast the black silhouette of the turtle. The topography lines show rhythm and movement by following a “river-like” pattern throughout the board. I am trying to communicate a sense of calm, peace, and harmony with the turtle spreading its flippers and accepting all people. I am proud of my first skateboard of the year and would show it off to everyone by riding it. I learned how to make curved lines and animal forms. I improved my stencil and taping techniques. My future projects would include more colours as I would experiment with different artistic styles. @miigwichlongboards