Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, October 18, 2019

Monstra Skateboards




















Hi, this is my second semester at OSF and My brand is Monstra Skateboards, which exists to inspire us to own our inner monsters. 
This is my first skateboard this semester, I made it with @roarrockit ‘s pool deck shape because I’ve loved it ever since the first time I laid eyes on it and love skating cruisers. Using @roarockit technology, I pressed 7 veneers of hard rock Canadian maple on a custom styrofoam mould made and designed in collaboration with @zimskateboards.
Learning how to make a custom mould has radically affected how I see board shape and functionality. Brands that are producing wider, experimental boards have inspired me to want to produce my own personal custom shapes in the future. I woodworked the board with scrapers and various grits of sandpaper until the edges and faces were smooth and ready the graphic. I’ve always chose to do a wraparound graphic, I want to start making darker monster imagery so i chose to use my blacked out combination mark. I faded my brands primary, and secondary colours beneath my logo which i got on the board using a tape stencil. I glossed it with triple-thick clear glaze 4 times, ensuring it will be protected from warping and making those colours pop beneath the fade speckle.
Monstra is about leading by example, the various monsters in my work represent the things in life we can’t change. What monster are you learning to own? @monstraskateofficial