Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chillz Jellyfish


I came to this program at the end of last year. In my time here I’ve designed and created 4 boards, 2 of which I sold and the others are for me. After making my own brand (is chillz) I decided I wanted my boards to be colourful, original designs that I would skate. The theme of this board is chillz jellyfish. The last board I designed was realistic, so I wanted this one to be more like a cartoon. Overall it was a good experience where I got to use my skills learned at OSF to make something for myself.

The board was made out of 100% Canadian Maple and was stencilled with spray paint before being highlighted with paint marker and sealed with spray sealant. I repeated the jellyfish image multiple times along the board to create rhythm and movement. The board is colourful and flows really nicely, which helps with the chillz effect of the jellyfish… I really like this board and am happy I get to take it home after all the work I put into it.

The next board I would like to work on is a custom shape deck, which I think I now have the skills to design.