Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tiki


I am a 17 year old student at Oasis Skateboard Factory in Toronto. I have been in the school for two semesters and learned a lot about stencilling and woodworking to make this awesome board.

My board was inspired from this restaurant called “Tiki Ming” my girlfriend and I always go to which has the best Shanghai noodles in the world. The Tiki is holding its stomach’s mouth from growling and it needs to eat some Shanghai to fulfill its craving; If he releases his hands a loud roar will continuously shout. The Tiki represents a challenge to not eat for a whole day, then go to Tiki Ming and eat as much shanghai as you possibly can!

Ted at Roarockit mentored me in the process of shaping and cutting my board. I applied purple ply on the bottom of the board then sanded it down for a smooth surface to lay down a graphic. I stencilled a two-layered brown background for the Tiki, sprinkled some extra colour for a wood texture and then masked the board with tape to cut out a variety of lines that make this board look like a retro cartoon or old Polynesian style graphic. Once that was all done I applied triple gloss sealant lightly on the board for a nice final coat.

I have defiantly learned a lot since my first board and expanded on my variety of tools and techniques to craft boards and graphics. I look forward to stay another semester to make more boards and push myself further.