Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...

APPLY NOW for Semester 2/February Start!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year.)


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Squid


Hi. This is my first semester at Oasis Skateboard Factory and this is my first board. Originally I was just going to have a squid on my board, but then thought it would be a more solid graphic filling up my board by having the squid eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks. Ha ha!

My board is made of 100% Canadian Maple. My board was stained with a light blue/turquoise colour dye, stenciled and then spray painted. First I spray painted the background of my board using stencils, but then I masked out my board with tape and cut out my black layer so it wouldn’t show any separations. The solid black outline makes my design look really graphic and bold.

I have learned a lot at the OSF and I am very happy with the outcome of my first board. I’m hyped that I get to make skateboards in school! The next board I am going to make will be for a local comic book artist (helping him put his art on a series of boards) that I am very excited about.