Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Aquifer Pool Board


I’m a second semester student at the Oasis Skateboard Factory. Over the past year I have learned many new techniques, but this board was the most difficult challenge yet. I was mentored by Ted Hunter at Roarockit and learned how to build a mould and design a custom longboard.

The theme of this skateboard is water. I wanted the board to look like liquid and how it would feel like surfing while riding it. My inspiration for this board was looking out of the window of a plane and seeing the difference in depth of water. I used rhythm, motion and texture in very subtle ways to create the simple graphic of bubbles that do not take away from the unique shape of this board. The shape of the board was modified from a pool deck by adding spikes on either side and extending it. With this board I was trying to show that the fluid combination of graphic and shape can create a strong visual statement.

This board is a very interesting way to end a great year of learning and board building. With this magnificent whale of a board I will be able to cruise the streets and never forget the lessons that I learned from Craig and the others here at OSF about myself, the world and that if you put your mind to something anything is possible!