Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...

APPLY NOW for Semester 2/February Start!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year.)


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Consume (Cigar)


I’ve worked on dozens of boards in my time here and this will be the last one I produce as a student. The theme of the board is just a continuation of my Consume brand which is all about greed and other things playing off the word consume. This is the reason I chose a cigar as my image and overall design.

My inspiration for this board was the natural shape of a cigar. I wanted to make a board that resembled a real life object. I used seven layers of Canadian maple which I pre-cut so the tail would resemble a burning ember. After pressing the board I cut it out with a jigsaw and shaped it with a scraper. From there I sanded to my liking and stained it so it would look like a cigar. The final steps were painting on the blunt label which I stencilled and taping off the embers so I could blend suiting colours. The main element of design that I utilized was shape; I tried to make the board truly feel and look like a cigar. The technique I used to convey shape the best was the shading I did with the wood dye.

I’m really happy with how this turned out. I had never layered wood like I did on the tail of this board so that was a great experience. I’m so thankful for everything I learned from Craig and in my time here. This may be my last board as a student, but its most defiantly not going to be the last one I produce.