Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Consume (Cigar)


I’ve worked on dozens of boards in my time here and this will be the last one I produce as a student. The theme of the board is just a continuation of my Consume brand which is all about greed and other things playing off the word consume. This is the reason I chose a cigar as my image and overall design.

My inspiration for this board was the natural shape of a cigar. I wanted to make a board that resembled a real life object. I used seven layers of Canadian maple which I pre-cut so the tail would resemble a burning ember. After pressing the board I cut it out with a jigsaw and shaped it with a scraper. From there I sanded to my liking and stained it so it would look like a cigar. The final steps were painting on the blunt label which I stencilled and taping off the embers so I could blend suiting colours. The main element of design that I utilized was shape; I tried to make the board truly feel and look like a cigar. The technique I used to convey shape the best was the shading I did with the wood dye.

I’m really happy with how this turned out. I had never layered wood like I did on the tail of this board so that was a great experience. I’m so thankful for everything I learned from Craig and in my time here. This may be my last board as a student, but its most defiantly not going to be the last one I produce.