Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, November 17, 2017

POP SK8

I’m 17 and I’ve been developing my brand POP SK8 since September. My sister told me about OSF, and it’s awesome being a student here. I was homeschooled from grades 1 to 10, so it’s cool how the learning process for me is a different one here.

I’m into reading manga and superhero comics, computers and robots. I love playing Destiny (video game), and I watch football, basketball and ice cross.

The image on my board is comic book themed, and the story is based on the video game RPG, where two heroes fight a boss and lose. I was inspired by Destiny, another RPG.

The board is made out of Canadian maple veneers. I drew the panels and printed them in the shape of a pintail, applied the printed template to a tape stencil, and spray-painted the board blue and the characters yellow. Features and outlines are in paint marker.

I made the choice to fill the entire space of the board with imagery. The lines are organic and the board has a smooth texture. By using a limited amount of black, I created defined images from the blue areas.

The narrative on my board is about two characters who try to beat a really hard boss and get destroyed in the process.

I’m happy with the woodworking component of my board. As far as the graphic elements, I would use less lines next time, less panels, and make the characters bigger.

This board will be for sale at the OSF January 26 pop up @anomaly. Look for me there and follow me on Instagram @pop_skate_to

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing