Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, November 15, 2019

Brat Skateboards

























Hi, my brand is called Brat Skateboards. My brand is targeted towards women and feminine power. Women are supposed to have pride in themselves. The female mouth is on my board to signify empowerment and the pages represent education. Women have been facing misogyny in education for some time, and it is the appropriate time for this to change. This has been replicated in skate culture. That’s why there is a skateboard imprinted in my design. Punk culture plays a big role in my life and it serves as an inspiration. Punk gives girls a voice. 
My board follows a traditional style, with the regular elements of paint and tape being used to create distinct lines between the images. My board graphics use lots of hard lines and the red mouth stands out against the white pages. There are blank spaces left on my board which show the grain and woodworking. The skateboard is also woodgrain. I chose red as the mouth colour, as it represents high fashion and how women show their femininity. The board is supposed to communicate courage and resilience of women who stand up to combat the dominance of men. 
I am proud of my first skateboard and learned how use tools such as an exacto-kinife and sandpaper. I also appreciated the value of different colors and spray-paint techniques such as misting. I have decided that my next board will include a political statement. This follows in the pattern of my present board, where people (especially women) can get their voice heard.
@bratskateboards