Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Spider Spit

























Hello, my brand is Spider Spit and it exits to seize the venom. I found out about the OSF program while participating in a board building workshop at the Art Gallery of Ontario and this Fall became a student. My brand is inspired by 80’s nostalgia, horror movies and retro arcade games like the original 8 bit Castlevania video game. I’ve always had a passion for this time period and wanted Spider Spit to be a reflection of my interest in 80’s nostalgia. I’m influenced by the work of horror brands and artists such as, @CavityColors, @RobZombie and @KillersNeverDie. 
I pressed 7 layers of Canadian maple to craft my board and used a variety of scrapping and sanding techniques followed by multiple hand drawn tape stencils. For this design, I chose to keep my word mark from my original logo but change up the spider to make it appear to be dripping venom down the wordmark. I tried to give it a high contrast VCR look by using black, slime green and an ultra violet purple Montana Black spray paint. 
Completing my first board took a lot of time and attention to detail. It was stressful to see others completing their projects before me, however the finished product made it all worth it. For my future boards, I plan to expand my exploration of the horror genre. OSF reinvigorated my passion for skating and has allowed me to try out riding multiple boards including, street decks, pintails and the replay. To see more of my work, check out @Spider_Spit on Instagram.