Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Gracious Grunge

























Hi, my brand is Gracious Grunge. My brand exists to bridge skate and hip-hop culture in Toronto. My skateboard graphics are representing hip hop culture by showcasing golden grills on a red background. The grills represent Grunge attitude with bravado and courage. I believe people should stand up for themselves and have pride in their creations. Red is my favorite colour and it stands out on the board. My inspiration comes from Nelly’s Custom grills. They designed my grills and I use them every day. Hip hop stars like Kaptain and Bizz Loc regularly use grills and this also inspired me with the board design. Extensive spray paint was used on the board and the design was stenciled. My idea is to create more merchandise like clothing and my own grill company. I used dark colours on the board, so they would stand out. A metallic texture was created through metallic spray paint. Hard lines were used to differentiate the letters, along with my own font. There is empty space to get viewers to focus on the words and logo. This is my first board, and I am communicating Grunge life to its fullest, with the golden grills. The board is also showcasing my brand for the first time. I learned that when working with gold paint, it can be difficult due to lack of lustre and quick fading. Overall, I am proud of my first board and see it as the beginning of my brand. I learned that Gold paint should be used at the end of board creation. Future boards would still use the same concept of the Grills, but have different backgrounds. @graciousgrunge6ix