Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

durb skateboards

durb skateboards: This is my second year at OSF and this year I created a new brand called durb skateboards. Durb is a nickname my friends and I have for each other. My brand is all about skateboarding at its core and the community formed through skating.
My first board is a street deck vacuum pressed with 7 plys of Canadian maple. I started by pressing the board onto a mold to form the shape then I started the woodworking. First I scraped the edge then sanded the whole board going from 80 grit sandpaper to 220 grit. After the woodworking was done I taped off the edge of the board and spray painted it black. The rest was done with a white paint marker. My inspiration for this board comes from Polar and Dime skateboards. I really like the clean simple style of Dime and I like the unique creative graphics from Polar. The person in this graphic is supposed to represent all the people that yell at me for skateboarding down the street, or who call the police on me for skating a bench that is rarely used anyway. It represents the people who don’t understand skateboarding so they decide to hate it.

Overall I am happy with the first board under my new company, but there is always room for improvement. I will use the things I learned making this board to improve my next board. I really want to make a custom shaped board in the future so this will be valuable experience for that.