Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year commencing September 6, 2017.)

UPDATE: OSF is now closed for summer and messages will not be returned until we reopen on Sept. 5. SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER REGISTRATION! To apply, come to our Wednesday, Sept. 6 9:00AM Info Session.


Saturday, November 5, 2016

“Smoke Signal Street Deck” by Flare Skate Co.

This is my second semester at OSF and I’m trying to do a “classier” thrash style with my brand this year. Flare Skate Co. exists to be a signal of sanctuary for skaters. This is my fourth branded board and instead doing bright flares of colour like my last boards, I’m taking this board in a more subtle direction. Instead of flames, I’m using smoke as a more subtle signal.
To play down the colour in my previous boards I used Montana spray paint: black, white, ivory and “magic white” gave the smoke a transparent effect. The graphic techniques I used were tape stencils and then hand-drawn outlines with paint marker. I left a lot of the bamboo wood grain showing around the graphic to show off the beauty of the construction of the board. I used bamboo in a previous board, you couldn’t see it, but overall I was happy with the stable ride; with this board I used bamboo again but as the bottom layer and I also used six other layers of hard rock Canadian Maple. I used my own custom shaped mold again as the shape has increased concave for easy control and a comfortable foot bed.

Overall I am happy with how this board pressed, but I learned that I should trim my veneers to fit my mold before I press it to get a tighter fit and better concave results. This model, the “Smoke Signal Street Deck”, is an exclusive for myself to ride as a prototype so I can perfect the overall shape before I graduate in June. I really liked the aesthetic of this graphic, but I’ll be changing it from a cigarette to a match in future production because I am aware we really shouldn’t be promoting smoking in school. I’m looking forward to my last year at OSF and the many projects and learning experiences ahead of me!