Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

MADINUS:


MADINUS: This is my second semester at OSF. My brand is Madinus (pronounced “Madness” because we all have Mad-in-us) and we exist to release, embrace and celebrate our inner freak show.

This graphic has a vintage freak show/carnival theme. My inspiration is the TV show American Horror Story and old carnival posters. To create the graphic I wood burned all of the line work on the board from the character to the rays and scroll. Then I used watercolour paints to “stain” the wood. I made the colours a little dull and dusty to reflect the vintage feel. I used repeating pattern in the rays to create rhythm by alternating colours. The rays also create movement on the board, drawing your eye to the central image and out to the edges. I used the rays on the griptape side too, giving the board a complete feeling. Finally I glossed the board to make it super shiny and beautiful.
I think the board turned out just how I wanted it to. I feel like of all the boards I’ve done this one reflects my brand the best. I’ve done Ouija boards in the past that look great but this deck has all of my brand themes- colour, vintage style, freak show imagery etc.. Next up I want to step out of my comfort zone and use spray paint instead of my usual woodburning and watercolour technique. Watch out for more Madinus merch this semester. It’ll help you get your freak on!