Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School!

This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program, where students earn high school credits by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio, now offers even more SK8 Entrepreneurship Opportunities & New Courses including SK8 & Art Co-ops, Native SK8 Studies, Physical Arts & Mindful Living...

APPLY NOW!!! (*Info Sessions are held every Wednesday at 9AM in the OSF Classroom during the school year.)


Friday, March 24, 2017

Crow Pintail

Hey, this is my second semester as OasisSkateboard Factory. My brand name is Mossy Meadows. Living in
Australia on a farm for a year was my biggest inspiration for this skateboard. I remember sitting on the porch and drawing birds, specifically crows. The image of a crow makes me think of farm life. When you look at a crow from far away its not so exciting. But when you look at a crow close up, you see that there is more then just black feathers. When reflected in the light, crow feathers hold many colours. Lots of
blues, greens and purples. Before I make judgments of something, I like to learn more about it what I'm looking at. Most people think of crows as a pest and a symbol of the devil. I think of crows as a symbol of inner beauty.

To make this board, I pressed a pintail shape out of 7 veneers. Then I made a template and jigged out the shape. I wood burned the details and painted it with watered down acrylic. It was a time consuming process but it was definitely worth it. The elements and principles of design I used include texture, both
physical (created by the wood burner) and implied (created by my painting technique). I also used value to create highlights and shading to make it look
more three-dimensional.

Trying a new technique has inspired me for my next board. I want to use the painting technique I used on this board with different characters and themes.
Overall I think the board turned out quite well.


Image may contain: 1 person, bird