Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Icky Toy

I’m 17 years old and a second semester student here at OSF. I’m a graphic designer, character designer and concept artist. I’m also made out of sentient slime.

The inspiration for the board is cutesy gore drawings inspired by the many artist that I follow, Cuteosphere being the biggest inspiration. The inspiration for the eyes specifically is Digimon, a videogame and anime franchise. Some Digimonhave a very specific eye style that I really enjoy, so I tried to replicate that. The guts part is inspired by various artists that I follow on Deviantart and Tumblr that do cartoon gore drawings that focus on intestines.

The theme of the skateboard is gore presented in a cute way. With this board, I’m trying to communicate a sense that despite this monster being gored up, its still gonna have a good time whether or not it’s dying or dead.

The materials I used were watercolours and a woodburner. I also used a jigsaw to cut out the shape of the board. The texture and line work was made by using the woodburner. I coloured and applied shading using colours that were very close to each other on the colour wheel and used contrasting colours (eyes - red + orange, guts - green + blue) to make the two parts stand out more.

When creating this board, I learned that watercolours do exactly what i want in terms of shading and colour because they mix easily I also learned that it’s also very hard to use the woodburner especially for curves but it makes using watercolours easier because the paint seeps into the crevices and makes it so that it doesn’t go outside the lines. Both of these mediums are fun to use at the same time, though very difficult to use for the first time

I think this board went very well in regards to the watercolour parts, but could use a lot of work in regards to the woodburning part, as I am not satisfied with the result. I think the next steps I could take is practicing with the woodburner so I can use it better. I’m definitely going to use watercolour in the future because I really enjoyed using them for this board.

Image may contain: 1 person